The support we provide
“Advocacy is taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and obtain services they need. Advocacy and advocacy schemes work in partnership with the people they support and take their side. Advocacy promotes social inclusion, equality and social justice”.
The Advocacy Charter 2002
Healthwatch Staffordshire can support and guide you through the process of making a complaint about an NHS Service.
The support we offer is tailored to your needs and includes:
- Giving you enough information and support so you can pursue a complaint by yourself
- Offering you the support of an experienced worker, such as an Advocate, who can help you make your complaint.
- Compiling all the relevant issues and facts you need to highlight as part of your complaint
- Writing letters to the right people
- Preparing you for complaint meetings and go to these with you if you need support
- Answering questions to help YOU make decisions
- Giving you the opportunity to speak confidentially to someone who is Independent of the NHS
- Meeting with you face to face to discuss your complaint
- Monitoring the progress of your complaint with the organisation responsible
One of our experienced and qualified advocates can help you explore your options at every stage of your complaint and give you the information that can help you decide what to do.
Information for those with a Learning Disability
The Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman (PHSO) has put together a lot of information that shows you how to make a complaint or raise a concern about your care.
There are videos, posters and leaflets in easy read format which can be found here:http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/complain-for-change/our-resources/resources-for-people-with-learning-disabilities
If you would like to talk with one of our advocates, or if you would like support with a complaint about the NHS and you live in Staffordshire contact us:
Freephone: 0800 161 5600
Our offices are open between 9am- 5pm Monday to Friday. Outside of these times, an answerphone service is available. We aim to respond to all messages, emails and texts within 48 hours.