If you run out of medicine outside of your GP practice’s normal opening hours and need some urgently, there are a few ways to get an emergency supply quickly, even if you’re away from home.
If you have a prescription…
If you already have a prescription and urgently need the medicine, try the following steps:
- If your local pharmacy is closed, you should be able to get your medicine from any pharmacy as long as they have your medication in stock. Use the NHS pharmacy service search to find other nearby pharmacies and their opening hours – some are open until midnight or even later, even on public holidays. By clicking on “narrow your search”, you can select different opening times, such as early, late or weekend opening.
- If you’d like to speak to someone first, call NHS 111 free of charge by dialling 111 on your mobile or landline. The person you speak to will be able to look up an out-of-hours pharmacy or another NHS service in your area.
- You can also use the NHS walk-in centre service search to find your nearest walk-in centre. These can sometimes dispense medicines after a consultation.
- For very urgent cases, you could try calling your GP practice. They should have details of their out-of-hours service recorded on their answering machine. This is the service your GP runs outside their usual opening hours and on public holidays, and shouldn’t be used routinely. You can use the NHS GP service finder to find your GP surgery’s phone number.
- If it’s a real emergency and you’ve tried all of the above unsuccessfully, use the service search to find your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) unit.
How to contact us
You can contact us with your query as follows:
- By telephone:0800 051 8371
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Post: Healthwatch Staffordshire, Suite 2, Opus House, Priestly Court, Staffordshire Technology Park, Stafford ST18 0LQ
If we cannot resolve your query immediately or a member of staff is unable to speak with you then we will always endeavour to return your call within one working day.